To be honest, shape identification apps are a dime a dozen. Doodle Critter Math: Shapes goes above and beyond a standard shape app and has easily earned a spot as a Top Pick for an early learning app. With lots of different activities and levels, this app will be great for your young learner.
Doodle Critter Math Shapes by iaction book has a variety of activities and ability levels for your toddler or preschooler. Engaging little shape critters guide you through a wide variety of activities that become more challenging as each level progresses.
Have a look:
Each of the six main activities has a variety of skills and options for your child to explore. From basic knowledge to utilizing knowledge, this app has it all.
- Learn Shapes – Players tap on the doodle critter to find the corners of each shape (triangle, rectangle, square, hexagon, pentagon, and circle). The shape is then drawn. A puzzle follows, built out of pieces that match the shape. Directions are narrated so that even our youngest learners will know what to do.
- Sort Out Shapes – Users feed colored and patterned shapes to the doodle friend who has a matching shape. Feeding each critter the right shapes increases his size and turns him colored. As the level progresses, children must feed multiple shapes to the critters.
- Math the Pairs – Players start by finding one match for a given image. The level progresses by matching multiple pictures to multiple shapes. Positive feedback has the correct doodle critter jumping onto the screen and flying off with the card.
- Remember Shapes – Shapes hide in covered containers and players must remember where each shape was hidden. Ready for more? The upper levels move the containers around in a keep-your-eye-on-the-cup game.
- Make Different Shapes – This is a puzzle level. Children choose from a range of animal puzzles created from shapes. Users must drag all of the different shapes to the mat to create puzzles of rabbits, owls, alligators, and more.
- Find Shapes – In this last activity, players must find a given number of shapes in a scene from a story. For instance, the triangles may be the bird’s beak and the fox’s ears. Tap the shapes as you search for the correct shapes on each page of the story.
What Fun Educational Apps Liked
There is a lot to like about this app. The first thing is that it is fun and engaging. My child enjoyed the wide range of activities and I liked that the activities were something other than basic “touch the circle” type games. I liked that the levels became more challenging as the students got further into each activity. I liked that the developers put shapes into animal puzzles so that children can begin associating shapes with real life objects. I also became fond of my little doodle critters that happily bounced around screen. One other great feature was the help menu. In each game, tap the question mark to get directions on what each game is all about. So that if you are hypothetically making dinner, and you weren’t listening to the directions, you can still figure out what your child was supposed to do…
Overall, Doodle Critters Math: Shapes is a Top Pick as an early learning math app. Toddlers and preschoolers will be easily engaged in actually manipulating shapes instead of just identifying them. The depth of this app is great; it has lots for your little one to explore.
Doodle Critters Math: Shapes is availabe for downlaod via the iTunes App Store - iOS Universal
Promo Price - $0.99/£0.69/€0.89 - RRP- $1.99/£1.49/€1.79
At the time of this review, there were no in-app purchases or ads, and the external links were hidden behind a parent gate.
This app was reviewed by Sarah Emerling, a mom, teacher, and technology coach. As the end of the school year approaches, she feels a bit like a bouncing doodle critter. She is a self-proclaimed tech nerd and is passionate about technology in education. You can follow her ed. tech. blog at The iLesson Lady.
Did you check our 5 a day - Top Apps Gone FREE!
Have Fun With Apps! …
Don't miss our next review and FREE apps alert - 5 a day ….
Get it by e-mail - Subscribe NOW!
Disclosure: This review was move up the waiting list priority-services. All opinions expressed are purely that of the author.