Play Zone is an in-depth preschool app by developer ICON, LLC for both iPhone and iPad. It offers children four different characters to choose and from there an additional 6 themed games to play. The cute animations and depth of play will offer kids hours of edu-tainment.
Play Zone is aptly named, giving kids an enormous app to explore and play. Start by choosing one of four animated characters: a princess, athlete, doctor, or firefighter. From there, explore 6 different games for each character. The games range from basic tapping objects and exploration, to more complex skills like patterning and simple math calculations.
-Dress Up - Dress your chosen character in a variety of themed outfits based on who was chosen. Choose different colors and styles of shoes, socks, pants, shirts, hats, and accessories. The firefighter has a selection of tools while the athlete has different sports equipment. Each character has many different combinations of outfits to delight children.
- Discover - Given a setting appropriate to the character, explore objects by tapping them to see quick animations.
- Spot the Difference - With two similar pictures, spot the five differences in each picture. There are several easy items to spot in each picture, but also one or two harder differences.
- Addictive Patterns - Begin simple patterning practice by finding the next item in a series of 10 patterns. The patterns are all different and are a nice introduction to basic patterning skills.
- Add Fun - Begin math calculation practice by solving simple multiple choice addition problems. With the problem in the middle, and an illustration on either side, this game is a very nice start to the concept of addition.
- Take Away - With the same idea as Add Fun, solve multiple choice subtraction problems using both a simple math sentence, and an illustrated example.
What Fun Educational Apps Liked:
This app has a lot to offer to the early learner. Its enormous scope alone gives the player so much to explore. With each of the characters having their own six themed games, this app essentially has 24 mini-games for kids. While the six games each are the same concept, the attention to the theme gives them all a unique feel. It's great that the games are scaffolded to offer the youngest players an easy item manipulation type game and offered older learners something a little more complex. I particularly liked the focus on the math apps. The patterning game offers ten different patterns to complete, and all of them are different. The patterns ranged in complexity as well, leaving room for learning and growing with the app. Both the addition and subtraction games are set up perfectly for the beginner. Showing both the number sentence and a visual image of the math problems gives learners at all levels an opportunity to be successful at basic math. Solving ten correct problems also makes the game a true learning experience. The math sections of this app could easily be used by both parents and teachers alike.
Overall, this app offers a huge amount of learning for the early learner crowd. From simple object manipulation to beginning basic math skills, children will be engaged from start to finish. Choosing popular childhood characters, and staying in theme with that character gives kids a wide variety of games and objects to play with.
Play Zone is available for download via the iTunes App Store: Universal App
FREE for a limited time! RRP - $2.99/1.99/€2.69
Note: Other top fun educational apps by ICON, LLC you may like:
NxtApp 4 Kids: Top Math App Using Number Sequencing … a Fun Educational Apps Top Picks!
This app was reviewed by Sarah Emerling, a mom, a special education teacher, and a technology coach. She is a self proclaimed nerd with a passion for incorporating technology into education and you read her findings at The iLesson Lady .
Did you check our 5 a day - Top Apps Gone FREE!
Have Fun With Apps! …
Don't miss our next review and FREE apps alert - 5 a day ….
Get it by e-mail - Subscribe NOW!
Disclosure: This review was move up the waiting list priority-services. All opinions expressed are purely that of the author.